The ‘Genius Hour’
The 'Genius Hour' outcomes are to develop a passion for learning through self-manifested and self-directed learning opportunities. Students in the junior primary years need support to develop and refine their research skills, primarily accessing appropriate information and then sorting it out efficiently. I have therefore divided the learning into five segments or steps to help guide learning.
The learning journey is what it is all about!
1. Wondering - Students should begin to wonder about the topic being studied. What interests them? What would they like to find out? Students then formulate a question after thoughtful discussion.
2. Finding Out – Students make sense of ideas important to them. This is where research begins and students record interesting facts. Encourage students to record their findings – in a notebook, ipad, journal (No worksheets). Refine the finding out to a particular area of interest.
3. Reflecting – During the reflection stage, students should be encouraged to ask the question, ‘What is it that interests me the most? At this stage students should reflect and refine learning to analyse findings, evaluate information gathered, make decisions about where the learning is taking them and engage in problem solving processes.
4. Designing – How would the student like to present their learning? Students create a product that demonstrates their learning.
5. Presenting – At the presentation stage, students have the opportunity to show case their learning journey and present the final product to the class.
Complete a ‘What I know now, What I want to know’ chart. What do I already know about this topic, what do I really want to know?
Begin answering the big question and recording interesting facts for the specific area/topic being explored.
Reflect and refine ideas gathered;
– Analyse and Evaluate… What will work? What do I do next?, How will my product look? What do I want others to know?
– Problem Solve… What are the problems?, How do I solve them?
– Make Decisions… What do I do now? What will I create?
Begin creating a product that demonstrates the students learning. i.e an ebook, podcast, poster etc.
Present Learning to peers